Why do I consider Bulletproof Ballerina workouts my secret weapon? Why am I choosing to “break the rules” of conventional ballet training? Why am I choosing to share my secrets with you? Because I’ve felt the difference first hand; seen it change my life, watched it transform my body and my art. It hasn’t only affected my physical body but my mental and emotional self as well. I experience life on a different level now, and I want to share what is possible. I’m not saying this is the only way to train or that other methods are wrong, but I’m sharing what works for me. This is the secret weapon that allows me to live the type of lifestyle I want...and to figure out the type of life I want in the first place.
I used to wake up every morning with a daunting dread about getting my workout in. I had a lengthy routine of exercises, then class, then cardio, then extra exercises and stretching. It took so much time and energy to get through my workout routine every day, yet I wasn’t happy with my results. So, I’d add on even more work. But I still felt my progress halt, even regress. What more could I possibly do? I was beating myself into a pulp, trying so hard to get better but not getting anywhere. I spent years like this, trudging through each day...until I started my Bulletproof training. Here’s why I consider it my secret weapon:
1. It turns me into a fat burning furnace. I used to agonize over every morsel of food I put in my mouth, worrying if I would be able to do enough cardio to burn off my intake. I got myself into some very unhealthy eating habits. Meals brought about such anxiety for me (even though I’m so passionate about food!), and I could never eat anything without experiencing incredible food guilt. With Bulletproof Ballerina training and nutrition, I found an escape route from that. First, I learned the proper way to nourish my body (more on this “Fuel the Fierceness” coming soon!) for health and energy. Then, my increased muscle density due to the workouts revs up my metabolism, so even while resting, I burn more calories than when I did hours of cardio.
2. The benefits transfer over to my ballet. Real results I can feel every time I take class or rehearse. Dancers tend to overdue it with their training. Many are in a constant state of burnout, leading to exhaustion, injuries, shortened careers, and an overall dissatisfaction with life (I call this living in the "gray zone"). Even though we may be trying our best, when we are in a state of overtraining, we are incapable of working at our highest potential. Period. Bulletproof Ballerina challenges the body just enough to create real improvements but also allows for the necessary downtime for the body to recover (remember supercompensation?). Once you are recovered, you will be amazed at how much extra energy and skills you have to devote to your art. Some of the benefits include:
- Muscle control & power
- Total body coordination
- Standing leg strength
- Core stability
- Reduced risk of injury
- Muscle tone & body sculpting
- Enhanced weaknesses
- Appreciation and understanding of your unique body
3. It’s a workout that actually preserves your body…your most precious tool as a dancer. As much as I joke about loving being sore in the mornings because it makes me feel alive, you reach a certain point where that soreness starts to feel less invigorating and more destructive. You realize your physical body has an actual lifespan and may not be as invincible as you treat it. And, you start to realize your actions have a huge impact on whether your body gets broken down prematurely or is preserved for a long lifetime. Exercise is a stressor on the body. It temporarily weakens the body while creating a stimulus to build back stronger. But not all exercise is created equal. Some forms of exercise have a much greater cost to benefit ratio. Some create more harm than good with excessive pounding or repetitive motion damage to the joints. With this Bulletproof training, you have an opportunity to push your body to make adaptive improvements while cutting back on wear and tear caused by other forms of exercise. The emphasis on protecting the joints, strengthening the connective tissue, and reinforcing your bones enhances the long-term health and longevity of your body. So the end result is feeling more invincible rather than more broken. It builds your body without breaking you down.
4. It's so potent that it only requires you to train twice a week for about 20-45 minutes to get results. This frees up your time to do more of what you love or discover something new about who you are. Here are some possibilities you could do with your extra time:
- Dance with wild abandon without having to worry about your technique
- Hang out with friends
- Build an actual social life
- Explore new hobbies
- Challenge yourself outdoors
- Learn something new
- Take a vacation without worrying about losing progress if you don't take class everyday (we all hate feeling like we've regressed 3 months-worth while only being away 1 week!)
In short, this is my secret for being able to live the life I want to live. It’s given me the time and space to explore what I really want out of life instead of just spinning on a hamster wheel, living in a gray zone. It allows me to live on a level of happiness, fulfillment, and pleasure I never would have discovered had I stayed my old course.
These things may not be important to you, and you may love spending hours in class and training every day. But if any of these things solve a problem you are having in your life, you might find training in a new way a refreshing change. I'm so grateful for breaking out of my walls and limitations and finding this secret for living the kind of life I want; one that opens me up to a life of possibilities and pleasures. Now that I've shared my secret weapon with you, what will you do with it?