We've talked about the importance of full-on cheat meals (or as I like to call them "treat meals") in achieving your fat loss goals. Today's recipe is definitely a treat…but won't throw you completely off your game either.
This is perfect for when a chocolate craving hits during a health kick. When you're feeling confident in your body, seeing progress in your aesthetics, sensing your overall power over transforming your life, the last thing you want to do is eat food that will pollute your progress. While you may not be ready to indulge in a full-blown treat that derails the powerful trend you are riding high on, your body and soul are sending you signals that you need a little something extra than your normal healthy eats.
Resisting these cravings entirely would be needless self-torture. Besides, sometimes your cravings are more than just an emotional desire to indulge. Sometimes they indicate that you are deficient in certain nutrients your body needs to be vibrant. Listening to and adjusting your diet to those signals can actually help your body function more efficiently, bringing you closer to your goals. So, it's helpful to have a few healthy treat recipes on hand to whip up in circumstances like this.
If you’ve been following me for a while, you know that I’m not a big fan of fake desserts that use sugar substitutes and other “healthy” manufactured ingredients for low calorie purposes. My philosophy is that when you indulge…you should indulge in real food. The fake stuff leaves you unsatisfied and wanting more because you don't get what you really want. Not to mention, many of those “healthy” desserts you buy in stores are packed with chemicals and other weird ingredients your body wasn’t designed to digest.
This recipe is different. While it can pass for a healthy dessert, it is made from REAL FOOD. Plus, it's super decadent. Not only will this satisfy your sweet tooth, but it will actually nourish your body with its superfood ingredients:
- AVOCADO: Besides being packed with all kinds of micronutrients & antioxidants (folate, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, potassium, magnesium, zinc, & more!), avocados are a great source of healthy fats that provide a ton of energy for your dancing. Instead of crashing from a sugar high like you normally would from desserts, this works like rocket fuel to keep you on your game longer and stronger. Plus, avocados are super nutrient-dense, meaning they pack a lot of power in a small amount of volume. What does this mean for you -- lots of nourishment without the bloat.
- RAW CACAO POWDER: Contains tons of polyphenols and flavanols that help with circulation and blood pressure, anti-inflammatory effects, brain health, mood & depression, & stress. Try to buy organic when possible from quality sources that don't destroy these compounds through processing. If you're on a budget, Hershey's cocoa powder works just fine (no need to be an ingredient snob;)
- COLLAGEN: This is an optional ingredient, but I highly recommend it. It’s a great way to get some extra nourishment into your body! This is the collagen powder* I use and trust as a reputable source of quality. Besides being beneficial for skin smoothness, elasticity, and nail growth, it can help boost collagen production in your own body to aid in the repair of your joints and connective tissue. (Very useful considering the damage you inflict on your body from your dance career;) I didn't have any collagen on hand when I made the video but just mix it in when adding the cacao powder.
As you indulge, feel good about these superfood ingredients nourishing your body, providing vitality & power for your dancing. And the best part of all...it tastes delicious -- dense, rich, creamy, chocolaty, and satisfying. The richer the better! ENJOY!
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup raw organic cacao powder (budget version: cocoa powder)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (more or less to taste)
- 1.5 tsp vanilla
- pinch of sea salt
- optional: 1-2 tsp collagen powder
- optional: 2-4 tbsp cream or nut milk (if you like a thinner consistency – I didn’t add any)
Toss all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Store leftovers covered tightly in the fridge. Makes about 4 servings.
*I don't get paid and am not affiliated with any of these product links. It's just what I like to use.
For more info on my FAT LOSS GAME PLAN, recipes, & nutrition philosophy: